10 July 2009

Them Bones Them Bones Gonna Walk Around





Everyday of my summer begins with breakfast, teeth brushing then some morning routine songs like Move little bitty body move or The Muffin Man or The Wheels on the Bus and of course the Hokey Pokey. My job is precious but not at all easy.
The past month has been really interesting. I've been on an emotional roller coaster. The source of this comes from my current job. I am a classroom assistant in a pre-school. I get to work with the most beautiful children of all backgrounds - Nigeria, Ethiopia, the hood, etc. The struggle comes with communicating with these little individuals. Sometimes I feel like I am so passive and not in control so much that these kids see right through me. They won't listen to me or consider what I am saying because they sense incompetence. They are like animals in the wild safari - they sense fear and will act accordingly. I'm sure all people would sense some degree of this when working with little children, but if you know me then you know this is a sizeable trial.
So the month of June showed me the cold hard truth. I need to reform my ways and start living with real conviction and real confidence and real effort. I'm already through the first week of July and I've noticed somewhat of a difference. The kids remember my name, they know exactly who I am and even the toughest, angriest ones who believe they are reincarnated carniverous dinosaurs seem to sit by me in class, look in my eyes and smile.
A preschool is a great place for different personalities to come together and unite. You will always need a stren, aggressive person, an organized, timely person, an energetic, playful someone, and then the laid back, calm person. Children need love from all people.
Like Bobby Johnson, my team leader would say, "These kids ain't street enough to mess with you."
I am in control...nice, malleable, translucent, light-weight control.

By the way, my cute sweet hilarious partner child's name is Clara and she's got rhythm. Today she sang Beyonce's Single Ladies to me. all of it. I just can't seem to get away from it.

3 comments:

Brooke said...

My Red,
You do work with beautiful children.
Even if they are sometimes little terrors.
What is it that makes them like mini t-rexes? Do they bite you?
Do they have speech impediments?

best of luck,

Brooke

kelly said...

you will get there it just takes experience, it will prepare you to be a good mom! you are so sweet is the problem! i am sure this has been an eye opening experience in many ways but that's what it is supposed to be, hang in there!

Marie said...

Bobby Johnson sounds suppa-duppa fly.

Yeah for pre-school! They sound great. I understand how hard it probably is. Little kids are very fun but very difficult.

Love ya, baby cakes.