06 August 2011

Worst Fears

My girlfriends from Ceramics class were talking about our worst fears as children on Wednesday. When they were little, one of them had a sister whose worst fear it was that the house would catch on fire and the family would forget her as they were escaping, so she would have to hold her sister's hand as she fell asleep to feel safe. Another lady has a daughter who is afraid of men. Ever since then, I've been thinking about my worst fears as a child and now as an adult. When I was young, I distinctly remembering being afraid that my life was like the Truman Show, that people were watching me and judging me, even in my alone time. Today, I am afraid of being lonely or alone. I'm afraid of not being comfortable by myself, with me and only me. I guess I just want to become my own best friend, so I don't have to feel lonely.

1 comment:

Marie said...

I love this post. Thankfully, I think I am my best friend. My biggest fear is having no money, a fear which I am facing head on right now. Growing up, my parents used to fight all the time, and I think it was because of our lack of money. I was always afraid we were going to lose our house. This fear has translated in my adulthood, and it is not very healthy. Man! We all have issues!